Monday, November 12, 2007

Tonga 1

I always love coming here. The plane drops down til you can see wave crests, kid yourself you see reef (the shadow of clouds, actually) on the wine-dark sea, then over coconut palms like rows of stars on sticks.

But lately I get here and realise I'd rather be elsewhere - almost anywhere else! It is lovely to see my boys - T (12) is as tall as I am! and sooo cool - G (8) fell into my arms in tears, he was so angry/glad/relieved to see me. But I'd like to be here on holiday, not on a custody (ugly word, ugly concept) visit. Talk about your problems of privilege, maybe.

So far, apart from the boys, the nicest bit of the day (and also apart from The Boy ringing me just before I got on the plane) was walking into the air-conditioned cafe. Sad. True. The flight was fine. Longer in the plane than usual, due to a tedious delay for medical reasons (not mine), but shorter in the air. The pilot obviously burned gas freely to try and make up time, and it was 2 h 35 min from up til down. It is as beautiful here as ever, and quite a bit hotter. Bought a new t-shirt to replace one that's wearing out (the tin of corned beef with the palm coming out of it) and made chicken curry for tea. Caught up with the woman whose guest house I am staying in for the third or fourth time, also caught up with her kids. It's all good, but bring on the two long haul flights tomorrow night.

No comments: