Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Eye

Of London, or possibly Big Bro as one had a small encounter with security regarding one's pocketknife. Between slight residual nerves from said encounter (am basically a law-abiding type) and an empty tummy, felt a bit queasy but it was worth it for the view. (The family went into the city on Saturday while staying at the Palace.)

Afterwards had an excellent Irish stew at the Westminster Arms, Dad's old local when he was at his London office, then went for a walk along St James's Park and past Buckminster Palace to Sloane St, where a shop called L'Artisan du Chocolat http://www.artisanduchocolat.com/ArtisanduChocolatSite/pages/cm/cm.asp?sCCPage=OurStore&cookie%5Ftest=1was (most deservedly) on my list.

Next was the extremely cultural experience (basically a euphemism for rubbing up against the armpits of foreigners, I believe) of Christmas lights and Christmas shoppers on Oxford and Regent Sts. (In some ways my trip is like getting lost on a giant Monopoly board.) Then bus, walk and train back to the Palace and something simple with pasta for dinner. Mind you, entrée was pheasant terrine with foie gras, thank you Harrods.

It's been absolutely wonderful to be on holiday with my parents and sister, the first time for nearly twenty years that the four of us have done this. I realise I haven't spent much time with Deb (my sister) for years and years, and I have enjoyed catching up and in many respects getting to know her now that we're both pretty much grown up.

No comments: